- This event has passed.
Live Stream: Walking Through Grief – Helping Others Deal with Loss
Apr 26 - Apr 27, 2018 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: $ 245.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Every person at some point in life will experience grief and loss, a profound sense of final separation from something or someone important. Grief is a normal and appropriate reaction to the death of a loved one, the experience of separation/divorce, intergenerational loss or the loss of opportunity. While there are similarities in how individuals work through loss, grief is a complicated and unique experience that requires helpers to be sensitive to the needs and experiences of those they are supporting. This workshop is designed to give helpers an increased awareness of the dynamics of grief, and to provide tools and strategies to best support someone who is grieving. Through personal sharing and discussion, cultural and popular understandings of grief and loss, and the influences these have on how we experience and work with grief will be explored.
About This Workshop
- Overview of Grief and Loss
- Making Sense Of Grief
- Myths, Misunderstandings and Messages
- Models of Understanding Grief
- Exploring the Impacts of Grief and Loss
- Grief, Loss and Depression
- Grief, Loss and Trauma/Complicated Grief
- Grief, Loss and Addictions
- Responding to Grief and Loss
- Paths to Healing/Recovery
- Experiencing/Expressing the Pain of Loss
- Becoming your own expert on grief
- Remembering and Ritual
- Merging your Paths
- Developing a New Identity
- Obstacles to Grieving “Well”
- Preparing for Loss
- When Additional Support May be Needed
- Tips For Working With Children And Youth
- Additional Strategies
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for counselors, family support workers, mental health workers, community workers and others supporting people working through grief.
Method of Delivery
Lecture, personal reflection, video, case study review and small group discussion
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Understand the complexities of grief and loss.
- Recognize the influence of dominant discourses and mainstream understandings of grief and their influences.
- Respond and support individuals, families and communities impacted by grief.
- Identify those needing increased support and intervention.
- Apply and adapt learnings to their own context and community.
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.