Live Stream: Vicarious Trauma – Strategies for Resilience
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Helpers regularly encounter stories and symptoms of trauma in their roles. There is growing evidence that the impact of directly supporting others through experiences of trauma goes beyond burnout or fatigue. The toll of witnessing intense human experiences and emotions can contribute to a negative transformation of a helper’s own sense of safety, and of being competent and purposeful. This workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to examine their own experiences and become aware of the signs of both vicarious trauma and vicarious growth. Participants will have the opportunity to develop a personalized plan to repair negative effects as well as accelerate their resilience.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Signs of Vicarious Trauma
- Anchor Points that Keep You Solid and Steady
- Empathy – A Vicarious Experience
- Building Self-Awareness of the Impact of Working with Trauma
- External Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
- Individual Factors Impacting the Effects of Trauma Work
- Recognize the Sound and Feel of Your Alarm
- Strategies for Building Empathic Resilience
- Practicing Vicarious Resilience
- Building a Personalized Plan
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working in the helping profession.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the process of vicarious impact on a helper from working with trauma
- Distinguish between the concepts of secondary stress, vicarious trauma, and vicarious resilience
- Identify key vulnerabilities and strengths in one’s own practice as a helper
- List strategies for the transformation of vicarious impact into resilience
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.