- This event has passed.
Live Stream: Harm Reduction – A Framework for Change, Choice and Control
May 11, 2018 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: $ 145.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Harm reduction is an approach to help people explore their relationship with substances and behaviors. It offers strategies to reduce and mitigate damage and pain, and to increase and promote safety, choice, and control. Harm reduction moves away from traditional understandings of “addictions” as a disease, and responses that are based on assumed morality and abstinence, or fear and punishment. This workshop explores the principles of harm reduction, how it works, and for whom it may apply. Participants will learn practical strategies for working with individuals, families, and communities within a harm reduction framework. This training will also explore how these concepts can be used in policy, procedure and practice.
- Traditional Understandings and Responses to Addiction
- The Realities of Harm
- Common Beliefs and Assumptions Surrounding Substances/Behaviors
- What is “Harm Reduction”?
- What Does it Take to Practice Harm Reduction?
- Developing the Therapeutic Relationship
- Being Trauma Informed
- Assessment as Intervention
- Exploring the Relationship with Substances/Behaviors
- Understanding Resistance
- Working with Motivation
- Reducing the Harm – Practical Strategies
- Working with Family and Friends
- Harm Reduction and Youth
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between traditional approaches to “addictions” and a harm reduction approach.
- List qualities/values needed to practice within a harm reduction model.
- Utilize a relational framework for understanding and working with a person’s use of substances and behaviors.
- Apply a variety of practical strategies to reduce harm.
Method of Delivery
Lecture, personal reflection, case study exercises, and small group discussion.
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for education, social service and health care professionals, social workers and anyone seeking a better understanding of the harm reduction framework
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.