Live Stream: Harm Reduction – A Framework for Change, Choice and Control
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Harm reduction is an approach to help people explore their relationship with substances and behaviors. It works to reduce and mitigate damage and pain, and offers strategies to increase and promote safety, choice, and control. Harm reduction moves away from traditional understandings of “addiction” as a disease, and responses that are based on assumed morality and abstinence, or fear and punishment. This workshop explores the principles of harm reduction, how it works, and to whom it may apply. Participants will learn practical strategies for working with individuals, families, and communities within a harm reduction framework. This training will also explore how these concepts can be used in policy, procedure, and practice.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- What is Harm Reduction?
- Guiding Principles of Harm Reduction
- The Impact of Our Beliefs and Assumptions
- The Importance of a Trauma-Informed Lens
- An Integrated Approach to Health
- A Relational Approach to Harm Reduction
- Exploring What Needs Are Being Met
- Working with People Where They are At
- Measuring Motivation, Readiness, and Confidence
- Strategies to Reduce Harm
- Planning for Change
- Rethinking Success
- Working with Family and Friends
This is an intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone seeking a better understanding of the harm reduction framework.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Differentiate between traditional approaches to “addictions” and a harm reduction approach
- List qualities and values needed to practice within a harm reduction model
- Describe a relational framework for working with a person’s use of substances and behaviors
- Apply a variety of practical strategies to reduce harm
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.