Live Stream: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder – Strategies for Supporting
About the trainer
Nathan Gerbrandt, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) is one of the most prevalent brain-based disabilities. As a result, there is a growing need for caregivers to acquire increased knowledge and practical skills to support children, adults, and families living with FASD. This workshop will review five pillars for success when supporting individuals with FASD. These include a focus on Strengths, Healthy Relationships, Promoting FASD Self Awareness, Adaptations Strategies, and Team-Based Support. Participants will transfer newfound knowledge about FASD into practical and meaningful ways to try differently, not harder in their support of individuals, families, and communities affected by FASD.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Primary Characteristics of FASD
- Stigma and Prevention – Myths and Realities
- Focusing on Strengths
- The Importance of Healthy Relationships
- Promoting Self Awareness
- Chronological Age vs. Developmental Age Considerations
- Strategies for Working with Impulsivity
- Team-Based Support Planning
- Adaptations Strategies Related to:
- Processing Information
- Abstract Thought
- Senses and the Body/Brain Link
- Understanding Cause and Effect
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, parents, and anyone seeking a better understanding of FASD.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of brain differences of FASD
- Recognize defensive behavior clues that are symptoms of a brain injury
- Identify best approaches to fostering self-awareness and resiliency for people affected by FASD
- Understand multiple practical adaptation strategies to achieve successful outcomes
- Develop individualized support plans that incorporate strengths and team-based supports
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.