Live Stream: Eating Disorders – From Image to Illness
About the trainer
Kimberly Enns, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Eating disorders can range from problematic tendencies like excessive dieting to a mental health diagnosis such as anorexia or bulimia. Helpers may struggle with knowing how to best respond to this complex issue and may react with frustration, fear, or helplessness. This workshop examines the symptoms, contributing factors, and the experience of living with an eating disorder. Participants will be challenged to check their assumptions and to fully address the function disordered eating plays in a person’s life. The focus of the training then shifts to possible treatment options and practical strategies for supporting individuals struggling with disordered eating.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- The Eating and Body Image Continuum
- When is Eating Disordered?
- Understanding Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, and Binge-Eating Disorder
- Considerations Around Compulsive Exercise
- Eating Disorders Among Specific Populations
- What Causes an Eating Disorder?
- The Problem with Diets
- Warning Signs of Disordered Eating
- The Process of Recovery
- Eating Disorder Treatment Settings
- Individual, Group, and Family Counseling
- Mindfulness Strategies
- Working to Normalize Eating
- Coping and Cognitive Strategies
- Managing Setbacks
- How Families Can Help
This is an intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, school personnel, parents, and anyone seeking a better understanding of disordered eating and how to help those who are struggling.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define common eating disorders, their symptoms, and consequences
- Recognize the factors that may contribute to disordered eating
- Identify preventative strategies and treatment options for disordered eating
- List a variety of strategies for working with individuals with disordered eating
- Describe the impact of an eating disorder on the family and their role in the process of change
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.