- This event has passed.
Live Stream: Depression – Practical Intervention Strategies
Feb 28, 2018 (9 AM - 4 PM Central Time)
Price: $ 145.00 (regular rate)
Online Live Streaming
Trainer: John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Depression is one of the most common mental health concerns. For some it can become overwhelming and even paralyzing. Caregivers may feel unsure of where to begin when helping those who frequently feel depleted, helpless and ashamed of their struggles. This workshop introduces participants to a variety of effective approaches that can be used to help an individual who is struggling with depression. Participants will learn practical strategies to help separate the person from the problem and the need to get to know each – the person as well as their experience/relationship with depression.
About This Workshop
- Understanding Depression
- How is Depression Different from Being “Down”
- Who is Affected?
- Problematic Beliefs and Stigma Surrounding Depression
- Causes and Influences of Depression
- The Helping Relationship
- Strategies for Intervention
- Building Awareness
- Exploring Routine
- Getting to Know the Person Outside of the Problem
- Habit Practice and Contrasting (Old Way, New Way)
- The Recovery Process
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, teachers, social workers and anyone wanting to gain tools to work with those who have depression.
Method of Delivery
Lecture, case study review, video and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe key features of clinical depression and the impact on emotional, cognitive, behavioural, relational and physical realms.
- Use key questions to assess the impact of depression and to engage in supportive conversation.
- Understand key issues in the internal (intrapsychic) world of a depressed person and be knowledgeable about a range of strategies to help.
- Understand key issues in the interpersonal (relational) world of a depressed person and be knowledgeable about a range of strategies to help.
- Describe common problematic helper-client dynamics of rescuing / criticizing and the importance of healthy boundaries in helping people who are struggling with depression.
You Will Receive
A pdf copy of our resource manual.
Live streamed workshops are best viewed with another person. This allows you to fully participate in small group discussion and skill development opportunities. Note that each each person needs to individually register and pay.
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.