Live Stream: Addictions and Mental Illness – Working with Co-Occurring Disorders
About the trainer
John Koop Harder, MSW, RSW
This is a live stream event, please check our system requirements prior to registering.
Many people who struggle with mental illness also struggle with an addiction. Recovery from both of these issues is complicated because they affect each other and are intertwined. Helpers may often be at a loss for where to start – did the addiction cause the mental illness, did the mental illness cause the addiction, or is there something else leading to both? This workshop provides a framework for working systemically with both issues at the same time. Participants will explore the impact of both addiction and mental illness, be provided with an overview of the theoretical frameworks for working with both issues, and learn how to integrate strategies in a way that supports health and change.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- The Links Between Mental Illness and Addiction
- Statistics: Impact and Nature of the Problem
- The Impact of Helper Beliefs and Assumptions
- Barriers to Assessment and Treatment
- Getting to Know the Person Outside of the Problem
- Assessing for Co-Occurring Disorders
- Intervention Strategies for Co-occurring Disorders
- Safety and Harm Reduction Planning
- Emotional Regulation Strategies
- Goal Setting and Collaborative Intervention
This is an intermediate level workshop intended for social service and health care professionals, counsellors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working with those who struggle with both addictions and mental illness.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe theories of change from both a mental illness and addictions perspective
- Assess client needs from a unified perspective
- Describe steps for working collaboratively with both mental illness and addictions
- Integrate treatment approaches from both fields
What our clients have to say...
Add this to your Calendar
Registrations cancelled 7 or more days prior to the live event are refundable, minus a $20.00 administrative fee. Alternatively you may receive a credit to attend a future training. Cancellations less than 7 days prior to the event are non-refundable. If at anytime you are unable to attend, you are welcome to transfer your registration to another individual at no extra cost. In this case, please notify CTRI of the name of the alternate person who will be attending.
We reserve the right to cancel live events due to unforeseen circumstances or under-enrolment. Liability is limited to a refund of live webinar fees only.
Event participants will receive login details and information about viewing the live event by email approximately 3 days prior to the date of the event.