Trauma is a wound that injures us emotionally, psychologically, physically, and spiritually. As a result, the impact of trauma can be far-reaching and enduring. This workshop provides an overview of the way trauma affects a person through the brain and nervous system. A framework which describes different stages in the process of regulating and resolving the impact of trauma is reviewed. Protective steps for enhancing helper wellbeing are also provided. Participants will learn key principles and strategies for working with trauma that apply to a diverse range of experiences and which can be applied to all ages.
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- When is a Person Traumatized?
- Types of Trauma – Developmental, Shock, Relational, Intergenerational
- Definitions of Post-Traumatic Impact
- Trauma – Immediate Symptoms and Impact
- Longer Term Impacts of Trauma
- The Impact of Trauma on the Body and the Brain
- The Role of Memory in Trauma and Healing
- Strategies for Moving into Regulated States
- Tools for Emotion Regulation
- Helping Someone Who is Dissociating
- Treating Trauma Over Time
- Safety and Stabilization
- Separating the Past from the Present and Future
- Reconnection and Resilience
View an abbreviated
Access our easy
This is an intermediate level workshop for social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, school personnel, and anyone working with people who have experienced trauma.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, case study exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Define trauma and understand the possible variations of potential impact
- Identify key assessment areas for individuals who have experienced traumatic events
- Describe the connection between traumatic experiences and post-traumatic stress symptoms
- Understand the role of the helper in supporting individuals
- Develop a treatment plan for supporting individuals who have experienced trauma
- Describe some key strategies and principles for working with people impacted by trauma