Children express themselves, learn about their world, and feel most at ease when playing. This interactive workshop focuses on how to use play therapy strategies to help children and youth positively cope and work through stressful life experiences. Participants will become familiar with Play Therapy theory, clinical guiding principles, and various directive and non-directive creative interventions to use with a wide age range of children and youth. From an experiential lens, this training explores how to apply playful strategies to support children and youth on their path to healing. Get ready to play!
Bonus: Participants will also receive a small play-based toolbox to use during the training, and to take home!
About This Workshop
Some of the Topics Reviewed
- Why does Play Therapy Work?
- Attachment, Neuroscience, Family Systems
- Children’s Growing Brains: Cognitive and Development Stages
- Inner Resiliency – Child-Centered Play Therapy
- Using Directive vs. Non-directive Approaches with Children and Youth
- How Play can Help Overcome Trauma
- Play-based Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy Strategies
- Creative Interventions for Emotional Awareness and Self-Reflection
- Art-Based Therapy
- Helping Children and Youth Develop Self-Regulation
- The Impact of Family – How Family Play Therapy Helps
- Building the Blocks of Attachment
- Somatic Approaches and Body-based Exercises
- Skills for using a Sand Tray
- Tools to use Puppetry
- Develop Story-telling Skills
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for school personnel, social service and health care professionals, counselors, social workers, parents, and anyone wanting to gain increased capacity in helping children and youth.
Method of Delivery
Presentation, video, experiential practice of activities and exercises, personal reflection, and small group discussions.
- Describe theory and guiding principles of play therapy
- Understand the cognitive and developmental stages of children
- Describe age-appropriate directive and non-directive play therapy tools and interventions
- Illustrate practical and tangible tools for immediate use with client populations