For leaders and managers, dealing with issues related to mental health in the workplace can be challenging and difficult to navigate. It is essential that leadership has the capabilities to manage mental health because early identification and support can lead to continued productivity, retention of employees and overall satisfaction in the workplace. This workshop provides a roadmap to help leaders participate in conversations with employees who may require support and accommodation when experiencing difficulties related to mental health. Participants will discuss practical strategies for creating a more inclusive work environment and develop a plan to reduce stigma surrounding mental illness. The workshop also explores how to create appropriate processes to address the needs of both employees and employers.
About This Workshop
- Why Mental Health Matters
- Overview and Statistics
- Best Practices
- Where to Start
- Early Identification and Support
- How to Approach the Conversation
- Role of the Whole Team
- Key Groups to Access
- What is Reasonable Accommodation?
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- Creating an Inclusive Environment
- Developing a Plan
- Reduce Stigma
- Creating an Internal Dispute Resolution Process
- Return to Work Strategies
Access our easy
View an abbreviated
Access our easy
Bring this workshop
This is an introductory-intermediate level workshop intended for leaders, managers and human resource professionals who wish to learn more about managing mental health issues in the workplace.
Method of Delivery
Lecture, video, case study review, role play and small group discussion.
At the end of this workshop participants should be able to:
- List the common mental illnesses that people may experience in the workplace.
- Explain how to to engage employees in need of support when experiencing mental health difficulties.
- Apply practical strategies to reduce stigma.
- Design workplace policies that address the rights and responsibilities of employee and employers to create an inclusive workplace.